Coupled Burley Duet
Date: May 26 Ad ID: HUGH@
Although we are Americans and live in the US, we purchased the bike for touring in Europe. It has S&S frame couplers that allow the bike to be fully disassembled and packed into two S&S travel cases. The S&S cases are designed to be checked as regular luggage on a plane. Both S&S cases and packing instructions are included with the bike. For more information about the S&S couplers and S&S travel cases, see http://www.sandsmachine.com. We most recently used the bike to do a 1000 km tour of the southern Netherlands in June 2022. At the conclusion of that tour, we left the bike with Sector 2 Bikes and Tandems in Rhenen, Netherlands and ordered a new Santos touring tandem from Sector 2. The frame size is not marked on the bike but is believed to be a medium/medium. I can provide detailed measurements.
- Frame: True Temper Burley Oversized 4130 Cromoly
- Fork: Unicrown CroMoly Oversized. 1 1/4" True Temper Burley Exclusive Tandem Blades, Butted Steerer
- Headset: Chris King 1 1/8" Threadless
- Crankset: Shimano 105 Tandem 53/42/28
- Bottom Bracket: Burley Sealed Cartridge
- Derailleur Front: Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7703
- Derailleur Rear: Shimano Deore
- Shifters: Shimano Ultegra ST-6510, 9 Speed
- Rear Cassette: Sram PG-950 11-32, 9 Speed
- Brakes: Shimano Deore XT
- Computer: Shimano FlightDeck SC-6501
- Rear Wheel: Shimano XT Tandem Hub, Velocity Chukker 40 Hole Rim, Wheelsmith DB14-16 Stainless Spokes
- Front Wheel: Shimano XT Tandem Hub, Burley 40 Hole Deep Aero Section Race Rim, DT Stainless Spokes
- Tires: Continental Gator Hardshell 700x32
- Paint: Volvo 457 Flash Green Metallic (stripped to bare metal and repainted in 2012 by the Bing Bicycle Company, a custom frame builder and bike restoration company)
Asking price is $3200.
The ideal buyer for the Burley will be someone who wants to do a tour in Europe and can pick up the bike from Sector 2 (an easy train ride from Amsterdam). After the tour, you could either leave the bike in a storage unit in Europe for your next tour, or pack it into the S&S cases and bring it home with you. We are currently keeping our new Santos tandem in the Netherlands. I would be happy to explain how that works. It may sound like a strange idea, but for us it is more relaxing than flying back and forth with the bike. Sector 2 is terrific and has been holding the bike for us. I don’t want to wear out our welcome at Sector 2 so all reasonable offers will be seriously considered. I would not expect you to pay for the bike until you have had a chance to look at it and do a test ride. Sector 2 has agreed to help with the sale.
To contact the advertiser, please review the terms and conditions below.
By accessing this website and/or placing an ad on this website and/or selling or buying a product displayed on this website, you agree that no one associated with the TandemClassifieds.com website is responsible for the accuracy of the descriptions, the usefulness of the items or the success of the sale of any product displayed on this website. The descriptions and usefulness of the items on this website are strictly the responsibility of the person who provided the descriptions. The success of the sale of any product displayed on this website is strictly the responsibility of the seller and the buyer. Both are cautioned to carefully verify the legitimacy of any potential sale. No one associated with the TandemClassifieds.com website verifies the product descriptions or the legitimacy of any buyer or seller.