Burley Bossa Nova
Date: May 9 Ad ID: goode
This Burley Bossa Nova was made by Burley in Eugene, OR out of True Temper 1130 Chromoly tubing probably from around 1992. I believe I am the second owner having purchased it in 2004. The bike has always been stored inside and reasonably well maintained. Black paint job has age marks as we all do, but there is no damage, and the bike works well. We have recently replaced it with a newer tandem.
We bought it to ride with children using the child stoker kit which is included in this sale. The bike is great for a child from around 6 to 12 years old, depending on height and maturity. Since children outgrew it, the two of us have ridden it, with the child stoker kit removed.
In our case the captain is 6'1", and the adult stoker is 5'1". The frame is well sized for the captain, but a little large for the stoker. It worked for us, but there's no room for a shock absorbing seat post for the stoker.
- Height from ground to top of captain seat tube = 34 in.
- Height from ground to top of stoker seat tube = 31 in.
- Length from center of steering tube to center of captain seat tube = 22 in.
- Length from center of captain seat tube to center of stoker seat tube = 26.5 in.
- Stand over height for captain = 33 in.
- Scott SE cantilever brakes. Mounting bracket and rear hub ready to accept a drum style drag brake. We never added one as the cantilever brakes were good enough. Time for new brake pads that I have purchased, but not installed.
- Panaracer Pasela 27 x 1-1/4 tires. Recently installed and in great condition.
- Sun Mistral rim on rear with 48 spokes. Sun Chinook rim on front, also with 48 spokes. Never broke a spoke or had to true them much. Rock solid. Not sure of hub manufacturer. Wide flange. Quick release on front.
- Drive Train is 18-speeds (3 by 6)
- Suntour XCD front derailleur. Can't quite read the rear derailleur.
- Suntour Accushift bar-end shifters. Indexed on rear, but friction on front.
- Crank arms are 170s, except for the child stoker crank.
- Sakae handlebars, turned down on front, bullhorn on back.
- Quill style stems with lots of adjustment in both positions.
- Saddles are functional, but not the ones we ever used.
- Four water bottle cages
- Zefal frame pump
- Coolest feature is the Plescher kickstand with two legs.
- Frame can accept a rear rack and fenders, but I found the fenders too tight for the width tires I preferred.
- Comes with pedals with toe-clips on the front and with Wellgo Powergrip pedals for the child stoker.
- Laprade seat post for stoker. Similar style for captain, but unnamed.
I have serviced the eccentric bottom bracket two times as it eventually begins to slide to the right. Otherwise no significant work has been needed on the bike for 17 years.
In summary, it isn't the prettiest tandem on the road, and it will give you a workout every time you put it on a roof rack, but it is a great and reliable bicycle. Some of my fondest memories are of organized 100k rides with a child on the back who was just chatting with all the adult riders who passed us on the up hills and then we screamed by on the downhills.
I have a tandem shipping carboard box and will pack the tandem for shipment by UPS. Buyer pays for shipping charges on top of the bicycle price, or we can arrange to pick up bicycle in the Charlotte, NC area.
To contact the advertiser, please review the terms and conditions below.
By accessing this website and/or placing an ad on this website and/or selling or buying a product displayed on this website, you agree that no one associated with the TandemClassifieds.com website is responsible for the accuracy of the descriptions, the usefulness of the items or the success of the sale of any product displayed on this website. The descriptions and usefulness of the items on this website are strictly the responsibility of the person who provided the descriptions. The success of the sale of any product displayed on this website is strictly the responsibility of the seller and the buyer. Both are cautioned to carefully verify the legitimacy of any potential sale. No one associated with the TandemClassifieds.com website verifies the product descriptions or the legitimacy of any buyer or seller.