Date: August 25 Ad ID: doc41
For three decades, Cannondale road tandem bicycles have been revered for their light weight, durability, and precise, flex-free handling. Their high-performance frames - made with large-diameter aluminum alloy tubes - are claimed to be 25% stiffer than tandem frames made of steel.
This Cannondale RT1000 frame was manufactured in 1999 with a labeled front seat tube length of 23" and a labeled rear seat tube length of 19". At that time, this frame was considered to be "Medium/Small" in size. Yet, by 2016 (the last year of its production), Cannondale considered its 23"/19" Road Tandem frame to be "Jumbo/Medium" in size, albeit after having tweaked frame geometries in the interim. Regardless of what relative size it might be, this bike's measured standover height is 31" in the front (for the "captain") and 28" in the rear (for the "stoker").
The bike has a few paint chips on the frame, scratches on some components, and surface rust on a bunch of bolts. At the end of last season, during a professional tune-up, the rear brake shoes, rear brake cable housing, and rear derailleur were replaced. The bike offers an excellent ride!
I am selling our tandem road bike only because my wife likes to see where she is going, so she prefers to ride on her own road bike when we ride together. Lacking the upper body strength to confidently captain this long landcraft, she safely serves as its stoker while I block her view of the road ahead. Offering an alternative view, the Cannondale Tandem Owner's Manual Supplement states that the stoker has the best seat in the house with views to each side as if riding on a train! Regardless of where the truth might sit, I hope that both your captain and your stoker fit as comfortably on this bike as do I (6'1") and my wife (5'7"), respectively.
SPECIFICATIONS (as best as I can tell):
- Frame: Aluminum alloy, handmade in the USA
- Fork: TIG-welded chromium-molybdenum alloy with eyelets
- Color: Lightning white with white pearl hyper gloss
- Headset: Cane Creek C-2
- Stems: Ritchey in the front (aftermarket replacement) and Cannondale CODA in the rear
- Handlebars: Cinelli Eubios in the front (aftermarket replacement) and bullhorn-shaped bars in the rear
- Bottom brackets: Shimano x 2
- Pedals: New Venzo die cast aluminum alloy dual function (one side has a "clipless" socket with adjustable tension for footwear with Shimano SPD cleats and the other side has a platform for footwear without cleats), chromium-molybdenum alloy axles and sealed bearings (aftermarket replacements)
- Crank arms: Shimano tandem 175 mm in the front and Shimano tandem 170 mm in the rear
- Chain ring: Shimano 30/42/53T
- Timing chain rings: Shimano 40T x 2
- Rear Cog: Shimano LX 9-speed 11-32T cassette
- Shifters: Shimano 105 Flight Deck STI
- Front derailleur: Shimano 105
- Rear derailleur: New Shimano Altus M370-SGS 9-speed long cage (aftermarket replacement)
- Hubs: Shimano XT Tandem
- Rims: Mavic T217 SUP 40-hole 22 mm wide (extra high spoke counts to support tandem riders)
- Tires: Nearly new Bontrager AW1 Hard-Case 700-32 mm (aftermarket replacement)
- Brakes: Avid Arch Rival 50 (parallel V-brakes)
- Seats: New Selle SMP TRK size Medium in the front and size Large in the rear (aftermarket replacements)
- Seat posts: Cannondale CODA in the front and Cannondale Competition in the rear (aftermarket replacements)
- Accessories: Shimano Flight Deck wired cycle computer (which, among other data, even displays front and rear derailleur positions), 4 water bottle cages (with mounts for 2 more), Trek back rack, and white wheel reflectors x 2
- Weight: About 42 lbs
- Length: 8'2"
You may read other owners' favorable reviews of this particular model at the RoadBikeReview website.
Price: $1,200. Cash only if picked up or delivered directly.
Transfer: Pick-up by purchaser preferred. Delivery anywhere between New Haven, CT and Bennington, VT is negotiable, as is delivery to a local bike shop for disassembling, packing and shipping at purchaser's expense.
To contact the advertiser, please review the terms and conditions below.
By accessing this website and/or placing an ad on this website and/or selling or buying a product displayed on this website, you agree that no one associated with the TandemClassifieds.com website is responsible for the accuracy of the descriptions, the usefulness of the items or the success of the sale of any product displayed on this website. The descriptions and usefulness of the items on this website are strictly the responsibility of the person who provided the descriptions. The success of the sale of any product displayed on this website is strictly the responsibility of the seller and the buyer. Both are cautioned to carefully verify the legitimacy of any potential sale. No one associated with the TandemClassifieds.com website verifies the product descriptions or the legitimacy of any buyer or seller.